The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Only a month to go.

I think we have kept all the health professionals in work this week. Niel needed the Dentist, and boy did he need the dentist, 2 appointments down and another 2 to  go. How do they justify their prices I don’t know. Today he had a 15 min appointment and that cost $125 – all they did was look around and found themselves more work that must be done before he goes away. It is no wonder that people let their dental hygiene lapse.

I went to the doctor for stronger painkillers for my knee and feet. If I can control the pain better I’ll be more mobile. It’s so frustrating when you are a physical person, to be limited by pain, I know you get niggles as you get older, but there is no reason to give in to it. My motto is: know your limitations, but push yourself to exceed them as much as possible.


It is only a month till Niel departs on his epic adventure. He is nervous and apprehensive, but knows it is something he must do. He was born to do this, and he knows he can’t pull out, due to nerves. He’s done such a lot of touring that he knows exactly what he’s in for. It is a good example of the saying: “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing”. A lot of people who are not experienced cycle tourists have cycled around the world and have had the experience of a life time. Niel will too, he just has to forget about the negative things that can happen, and enjoy the experience.
About to head overseas.


There are lists littering the dining room table. My list is starting with the: what to do if this happens. Flow charts about where all the pipes go in and around the water pump. How to change a Fuse, what to do if we get a leak. You get the picture.
Todays harvest.


The garden is very productive at the moment, and along with the bantam eggs, we have a bountiful harvest every day. It is very satisfying, to see what you can produce with a little bit of effort.

Plum tree groaning with fruit.


Tomorrow we visit the travel doctor to talk about vaccinations. The Visas are starting to be accepted and sent back to us. The Airline tickets need to be paid for, and travel insurance paid for. Niel has finished perfecting his bike, and he has to make sure mine is just right before he goes. I’ve almost finished his first aid kit, just a couple of items left to buy. We really need to update our Wills in the next week or so.

 You may think that we are mad cyclists, [and you are probably right] but my brother, is visiting this week with his son [my nephew], they are here for the Mountain bike nationals. Frankly they are a bit obsessed with bike events. You couldn’t accuse him of not giving his son every opportunity in his chosen sport. Needless to say we have a lot in common, and a lot to talk about. Bikes, bikes and more bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment