The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Tuesday 20 December 2011

After the flood.

It's been a week since the biggest flood in Nelson in 40 years. And it is heartening to know the the house came through it without any problems, unlike other parts of the district.

The debris on the Vines would have been head height. This is 50 meters from our letter box, which was lapped by the edge.

They really knew where to build houses in the 'olden days', most of the damaged houses where 'new' houses. In Nelson city 100 houses have been deemed destroyed of too dangerous to live in. I did a little tour of a 1km radius from our house to have a look at the local damage.

I'm standing on the debris mark, and there is mud on the footbridge Niel is standing on. The water would have been about 3meters deep.


A slip that completely covered the road.


Needless to say Woo the chicken decided this was a good time to disappear. I searched for two days for here nest without finding  it. Eventually she turned up for some food and drink and a dust bath. We stealthily followed her and found her nest. Her most cunning and hard to find yet. As I have said before I'm sure she does it to test how clever we are, in finding it.

Even at full zoom on the camera it is hard to see the chicken, playing hide and seek.


Well with the main highway through Nelson closed to traffic for the next few weeks, it's been a challenge to get into town to spend money,[ not that we do much of that] but a resourceful cyclist with an extremely useful bob trailer can get through. I hope you all have a very merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas.




No comments:

Post a Comment