The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Wednesday 12 October 2011

The Good life

I haven't written for a few weeks, I was in a quandary about my blog.

Our goal keeps changing and i felt like a fool explaining why all the time, Am I just a total embarrassment, or am i deluding myself that anyone even cares.

I'm still Vespa Chick, I always will be, and I'm still going around the world, just not all in one go.

Actually it's been a week of changes.We've decided we want to live self sufficiently. That's been our dream for a long time, but our 'fly in the ointment' that always kept us in paid employment, is our Passion for cycling holidays and these cost money.

Why now? Several reasons.
1) We've got 14 years till we qualify for the Pension, unless the politicians renege on their election promise and put the retirement age up. We've got the physical strength and enthusiasm to do  it.
2) The Economy is a mess. If things get worse, we'll have the house and enough food to feed ourselves. i really enjoy living within my means on a strict budget - I find it a challenge and to succeed at it - gives me a glow of achievement.
3) We don't want for things other people can't live without, we have already proved we can live without a car.
4) Why not?

We must get our Bantam hen a coup - she thinks she lives inside, she is even jealous of our chicken soft toy!!


What about Niel's race around the world? Well It's looking very likely that it won't go ahead, nothing has been organised. We will do our own ride around the world, but over several years. It is a lot more fun together, and we would like to see the best a country has to offer, rather than rushing through in record time only seeing the main road,

I don't have many followers, so I don't know if I'll be disappointing anyone if I stop writing this blog, but on the other hand it is essentially a diary, so if no one is interested then does it really matter. If anyone wants to keep reading this, I'd love some feedback.

I can promise you one thing, that we will be cycle touring South East Asia early next year, In 4 months we will be in Singapore ready to head North to Vietnam, so there will be plenty still to write about, and more funny stories to tell. Perhaps my wonderful Step-Father could paint some more funny pictures to go along with my ramblings. Like this delightful one of us cycling Ireland a few years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment