The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Thursday 29 September 2011

Strong Legs

Here's a subject that most female cyclists can relate to. It's rather annoying, but really quite hilarious. Come on girls own up. When you're out cycling and you overtake a male cyclist of any age, they can't stand it. They have to overtake you back again. Men and Boys hate to have any female overtake them, and they'll 'turn themselves inside out' in effort to pass you. The really hilarious thing is when, without even trying, you overtake them again. Have you noticed that they suddenly have another direction or a corner to turn in to, Niel has also noticed it when we are out riding together. Don't get me wrong - I'm not some Tour de France athlete, just a reasonably strong rider who's been riding for a long time, and developed quite strong legs.

Actually that reminds me of a quick story. Last year, when we were cycle touring the US, we were climbing a large Pass in Colorado of 12,000 feet. I finally made it to the top and a women got out of her car and said: " I don't know how your legs do it." I replied: " My legs are the only thing that feel good, everything else hurts." It was true - from burnt,split lips, Asthma, RSI in my wrists, down to my problem feet, But my legs felt as strong as an Ox.

It's these 'strong legs' that have made my feet worse. The Doctor say's my cycling muscles are so powerful that they are putting a strain on the less powerful ones, and are pulling things out of balance. Apparently I can push my feet down so hard that I've lost the ability to pull my feet back up. That powerful push has formed the compression problems on the ball of my feet. On the few occasions when my feet feel good, I feel like I could take on the world.

Sometimes I feel like one of those cartoon characters like in the 'Asterix' books with abnormally large muscles from doing something to excess.


These are NOT my legs!

I only wish my strong legs equalled great performance. Unfortunately they just seem to cause me problems. However I do get a kick out of overtaking males and seeing their reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment