The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Wednesday 24 August 2011

Cycling couple

THE COUPLE THAT CYCLES TOGETHER, STAYS TOGETHER.

Niel and I


Some people like to be solitary, there's a big difference between being solitary and completely alone. Niel and I are not social butterflies, we like being by ourselves, however we don't like to be alone. The Guinness race requires the riders be alone for 90% of the event. I am not allowed to accompany Niel on my Vespa, for him to be a legitimate candidate for the race. I offered to stay at home, so that he'd be on equal footing as the rest of the competitors. He didn't want that, we are a partnership. We always will be. As I said : the couple that cycles together, stays together. So  yes I'm cycling.

Am I cycling the Guinness race? As tempted as I may be to get the first female world record, no, I'm not. Are we cycling around the world? Well, sort of.

As a couple, we have already cycled over 55,000 kms in 15 countries and 3 different geographical Continents. Now we want to finish the other continents [less Antarctica - which is impossible].It's our goal to have cycled all 7 of the 8 continents, and that's achievable using a round the world airline ticket, and getting off and on Planes to fulfill our goal. The result would be an achievement to be proud of. And that's the crux of all this - being proud of each other.


We weren't the only ones enjoying a brilliant Spring day



Kaiteriteri Beach



On our 100 km ride today, out to the beautiful Kaiteriteri beach, we opened up about how proud we were of each other.That mutual pride creates a strong bond.

 I loveVespa riding. And to my Vespa loving followers, I'm sorry to disappoint you for not circumnavigating the globe. Frankly the whole Vespa thing was getting completely out of hand. Did you know it costs over NZ$14,000 just to get a Carnet, which is an international vehicle passport? I knew the freighting charges would cost a lot, but the red tape was a major challenge, Did you know that some countries won't allow you ot use your own vehicle without a special permit, other countries won't allow you to use  your own vehicle - you have to hire one of theirs, and that doesn't even cover the problems crossing Borders. Did you know that to put a motorbike on a plane, you need a 'Dangerous Goods licence' - because of the battery, and fuel / oil tanks. I won't go on, but you get the picture.

The other issues for our change of plans, was being away for so long. 6 months is a long time to be away, And our poor old house desperately needs some attention,  which the reduced costs should now allow.

No comments:

Post a Comment